Unlike the Under-Armour Game on Thursday, this high school all-star game might have some drama for Alabama fans. Of the prospects announcing during the game, two could pick the Crimson Tide.
U.S. Army All-American Bowl
San Antonio, TX
Saturday, January 5, 2019 – 12pm CT /1pm ET NBC
EAST (Black uniforms):
- #12 QB Taulia Tagovailoa SIGNED – Still getting over an injury, not sure how much he’ll play.
- #6 RB Trey Sanders SIGNED – #1 RB, #5 overall in 247sports Composite Ranking.
- #56 DL Antonio Alfano SIGNED – 5-star has been dominating practices. See below.
- #92 DL Byron Young COMMITTED but hasn’t signed yet.
- #99 DE Khris Bogle ANNOUNCING DURING SECOND QUARTER. For a long time he has looked like a Miami lean. Manny Diaz was his recruiter as the ‘Canes DC and is now head coach. Bama has been pressing but he’s looking like he’ll stay close to his Fort Lauderdale home.
WEST (White uniforms):
- #17 LB Christian Harris SIGNED – The latest Baton Rouge native to roll with the Tide.
- #11 LB Henry To’oto’o UNCOMMITTED (will not play due to a fractured foot suffered in state championship game.) Announcing NSD, most “experts” are convinced he is leaning Alabama. We’ll see. Plans to officially visit (OV) Tennessee, Alabama and maybe Oregon this month. He has already OV’d Washington and Utah. Tosh Lupoi is a graduate of his high school.
- #8 CB Marcus Banks ANNOUNCING DURING FIRST QUARTER. Decommited from LSU three days after the Tigers beat Georgia. Alabama and Texas A&M are believed to be the finalists but Florida and Florida State (his father played for FSU) could still be in the running.
[SIDE NOTE: Recruiting is in a Dead Period of no contact that lasts until after Monday’s CFPNCG.]
I am guessing these guys want to “shock the world” with the hat-switcheroo thing, but four of them are pretty much slam-dunks.
- WR Jadon Haselwood (Ellenwood, GA) – UGA decommit 5-star will sign with Oklahoma and probably make a big show of it.
- WR/ATH Bru McCoy (Santa Ana, CA) – So Cal.
- WR Kyle Ford (Orange, CA) – So Cal.
- WR David Bell (Indianapolis, IN) – Purdue.
- CB Chris Steele (Bellflower, CA) – So Cal decommit, leaning Florida for some reason.
- CB Tyrique Stevenson choosing between UGA and hometown Miami.
- ATH McKel Broussard Sherman Oaks, CA) – I am not sure why this guy is even invited. This 3-star has no Power 5 offers and is ranked the #893 player overall.
Also of note, defensive back Noa Pola-Gates will not be signing with Alabama. The signing of Jordan Battle likely ended this courtship.
“It’s telling when a prospect can come into an All-American setting and dominate not just look better than his peers but significantly better. Alabama signee Antonio Alfano didn’t just look better than his peers — he was significantly better. Alfano showed up lean and fit at 275 pounds but at that size, he spent most of Tuesday’s practice at defensive tackle and was strong enough to hold the point of attack. He flashed athleticism as a penetrator that was totally disruptive; Offensive linemen couldn’t do anything with him. In the run game, Alfano created chaos and notched several tackles for loss. From a consistency and splash standpoint, nobody had the bigger impact than Alfano. 247Sports already considers Alfano as the No. 8 player in the class of 2019, much higher than his 247Sports Composite ranking. His standing could raise after this week.” — Barton Simmons, 247sports