ATHENS, Ga. — Georgia’s second day of Alabama preparations are underway with the Bulldogs wearing full gear inside “The House of Payne” indoor practice facility. Reporters were allowed to watch eight minutes of practice as the Bulldogs ready for the 2018 SEC Championship where we observed a linebacker who made his way back out to the practice field, an error in yesterday’s practice report and more.
Get our full practice report below.
– Sophomore inside linebacker Monty Rice has made his way back onto the practice field but it appears as if it’s in a limited capacity. Rice didn’t play against UMass and didn’t practice at all last week after suffering a foot injury in pre-game warm-ups prior to UGA taking on the Minutemen. During that game he had on a walking boot and was using crutches to move around. While on the sideline for the Georgia Tech game, he had gotten rid of the walking boot and was using crutches to assist in getting around but he wasn’t using them heavily.
Rice was Georgia’s leading tackler coming into the UMass game and had played his best football since the open week with 27 tackles in three games.
– Yesterday we reported that redshirt freshman Robert Beal, who left the Georgia Tech game with an injury on a kickoff, was back at practice. We found out today that we likely made an error there. There was a player wearing Beal’s No. 33 with the outside linebackers but when he took it off today, we realized that it’s not Beal. We didn’t recognize the player but it definitely wasn’t Beal.
– Redshirt sophomore Ben Cleveland was with the second-team offensive line during the pursuit drill as we first got out to practice but he wasn’t moving around well at all. He had a noticeable limp while jogging with that group. When the team went into individual drills, Cleveland didn’t participate. He stood on the other side, giving the first and second-team offensive lines a look, but he never actually took snaps with either unit.
The first team featured Andrew Thomas, Solomon Kindley, Lamont Gaillard, Trey Hill and Isaiah Wilson from left to right. The second team had D’Marcus Hayes, Jamaree Salyer, Warren Ericson, Justin Shaffer, and Owen Condon from left to right. Cleveland has played some since returning from a broken fibula suffered in week four against Missouri, but most of that action has come on the punt shield with a few snaps on offense.
– DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle was back with the defensive line today and appeared to be fully participating during drill work. He hasn’t played since the Tennessee game with an undisclosed injury and didn’t dress out for the Georgia Tech game. He made his return to the practice field yesterday.
– A couple of scout-team jerseys to report: redshirt freshman wide receiver Matt Landers is wearing No. 11 and playing the role of Alabama’s Henry Ruggs. True freshman wideout Tommy Bush is wearing No. 6 and playing the role of Jerry Jeudy.